How to Treat Sleep Apnea?
It is not uncommon to brush away your snoring problem as just a minor inconvenience. People hardly think of snoring as a major medical condition. However, if you snore regularly and have experienced interruptions in your breathing during sleep, you might have a reason to worry. These symptoms indicate sleep apnea. You can visit Hillcrest Dental Care to get the best sleep apnea treatment in Waco, TX.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder wherein there are interruptions in the breathing of a person during their sleep. It could be either due to a blockage in your air passage or because of some problem in your central nervous system. In some cases, it occurs due to both.
The main types of sleep apnea are:
- Obstructive sleep apnea: Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when the airway is blocked because of the relaxation of the throat muscles. It is one of the most common forms of sleep apnea found in people. The blockage in your air passage causes you to snore loudly.
- Central sleep apnea: Central sleep apnea occurs when the brain is not able to send signals to the muscles for proper breathing. It is a defect in the central nervous system.
- Complex sleep apnea: Complex sleep apnea refers to the condition where the person has both obstructive as well as central sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea usually causes sleep deprivation and slows you down during the day. It can cause irritability, mood swings as well as lack of concentration. It can also result in several health problems such as diabetes and heart diseases. However, there are enough ways to treat sleep apnea and prevent these extreme cases. In case you haven’t seen a professional yet, it is time to visit your dentist in Waco TX and get yourself checked.
Sleep apnea symptoms
If you sleep with a partner or roommate, they might be able to tell you about your snoring problems. You can also record yourself sleeping if you want to find out what is going on. Here are a few sleep apnea symptoms that you should be careful about.
- Loud snoring at night
- Pauses in breathing during sleep.
- Choking or gasping while sleepiness
- Fatigue in the daytime, even after a full night’s sleep
- Headaches in the mornings
Treatment for sleep apnea
There are a few options for sleep apnea treatments that you can choose from. The best option is to go to a dentist in Waco TX for sleep apnea treatment in Waco, TX. Here is the list of options available:
- Continuous positive airflow pressure (CPAP): CPAP machine is a rather common way to treat obstructive sleep apnea. In this treatment, usually, the person suffering from sleep apnea wears a mask to go to sleep. The mask is attached to a machine and provides continuous airflow to the person. This ensures that the person is breathing normally and does not go out of breath in the middle of the night.
- Breathing devices: Some breathing devices that could be useful for your sleep apnea are EPAP, BiPAP, and ASV. EPAP is a small device that is put over the nostrils and helps keep the airway open. BiPAP adjusts the pressure of the air to make breathing easier. ASV changes the air pressure according to your breathing patterns, ensuring that you do not have trouble breathing while you’re asleep.
- Dental devices: There are several dental devices meant to treat the symptoms of sleep apnea. These can be, made by your dentist in Waco, TX. There are several dentists with special expertise in sleep apnea who can help you manage your sleep apnea.
- Implants: Implants can also help treat sleep apnea. There is a pacemaker system that is inserted, to help you breathe better. The pacemaker system ensures that you are getting regular airflow and is one of the new effective ways to treat sleep apnea.
- Surgery: If you are not able to manage your sleep apnea, surgery might be the best option for you. The surgeon will remove any excess tissue in your throat or nose that might be narrowing down your air passage.
Sleep apnea, if not treated, could lead to a lot of issues later on. It is important to visit a professional if you are experiencing sleep apnea symptoms. Avoiding caffeine, cigarettes, and alcohol is a must if you want to deal with sleep apnea. Regular exercise helps in managing the symptoms too. Several methods such as CPAP machines could help you deal with sleep apnea treatment in Waco, TX. Visit Hillcrest Dental Care for the best sleep apnea treatment in Waco, TX.